There has been a lot going on in my family lately. Like everyone experiences there have been ups and downs - they've just been a little more roller-coaster than usual recently. Some of you know that my dad has been running his own dry cleaning business for the last nine years. Sadly, he had to close the doors about a month ago. My dad is not one who quits, or fails - and he took the closing of his business very personally. He has been looking for a job since he knew he would be closing the store, but it is, as I am sure you all know, a tough market to be looking for a job. Wonderfully, he has been offered a position managing a retail store, and will be starting May 1st. Of course, it is in Temple, and who knows what that means for my mom and dad in the long run - but I would guess some kind of move is in their future (which means we'll be traveling to the Waco area a lot). I am so happy for him. This is an amazing thing that is happening, and it is true that when one door closes another opens. I can't wait to see what is in store for my parents, but I believe it is something wonderful.
I am a lot like my dad. I take my career very seriously, and I constantly give 110% to my students. Someday, I want to be a school principal, and eventually help make public education better for students and a more respected profession for educators. Because Billy is older now, I thought that this year would be the perfect time to start moving in that direction, so when my district posted the listing to apply to the Assistant Principal pool, I threw my name in the hat. I got an interview, and I stressed over it for the week before it happened because I knew it would be a panel interview and the whole process would take about 2 hours. The day came, and I really felt good. Of course, I knew there were a ton of people applying and only 4 upcoming elementary positions, but I was hopeful. Friday, I got my letter. It basically said "Thanks - but we just don't have enough openings to add you to the assistant principal pool this year." Needless to say, I was crushed, but I was at school (it was 7:40 and the bell was about to ring) so I sucked it up, told my principal and a couple of my team members and rolled up my sleeves to wrap up the last week before TAKS. I couldn't figure out what I could have done wrong, and I thought about it all day. I even cried about it when I got home and finally sat still for a minute, but I realized something. I truly don't think it was anything I said in the interview, I think that it just wasn't my time. I do believe that my future is in administration, but right now just isn't the time. Now that I've had over a day to think about it, I am feeling a little better. I realize that now I get to spend my entire summer with my sweet baby boy instead of cutting it short for training if I were to get an assistant position. And, my hubby and I may go on a cruise this summer - alone - and that excites me (and worries me at the same time, but that's for another post). It does still sting quite a bit - but that's my pride, and I really need to work on that anyway - so I'm probably getting a little lesson in humility from all of this.
All that said - I guess what's left is that I need to remember that God is in control, not me, and everything that happens in life happens in His time and according to His plans, not my own. It was a great experience for me, and now I can work on growing more as a teacher and a leader - so that when it is time for me to move into an administrator role I will be better prepared.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis made me smile. So glad to catch up with you! You and I have very similar hearts. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI'm sad to hear about your dad's store but what a great opportunity for him elsewhere. So happy that he was able to find another position and I hope he loves it! As for your administration interview - I'm with you 100%. Life is all about timing and God is the only one who knows the when and the where. I'll keep you in my prayers. You will make a wonderful principal one day!
ReplyDelete